October 10, 2011

Thanksgibbin's

Every year on Thanksgiving, my family has dinner together. We invite our neighbors who only have family out of town, our friends who live alone, my sisters brought their boyfriends. Every year we have a big meal and after we finish, before the evening is through, we sit around the table, and go in a circle, and say what we're thankful for.

I want to continue this tradition if/when I get to have a family of my own. I think I would love to have people so close by to me, an open group of friends where the line blurs into family, and a moment of clarity and honesty and gratitude. Some people think about it before, some of us go on the spot.

This year, I was thankful for the life I lead and the problems I have.
I'm looking into post secondary so that I can work with a non-profit organization. Through this lense I've seen a lot of bad things. People less fortunate than I am. I know that compared to what SOME people go through, my problems are nothing.
So I am thankful that my obstacles, mental, physical, romantic, artistic, whatever...I'm glad I can overcome them. Everytime I overcome a problem, I grow a little. And when I grow enough, I'll be able to reach out to others and help them with their problems. See the bigger picture.

What are you thankful for this year?

I've been sick, with a little cold, a little nausea, a little fever.

I've been feeling pretty antsy lately too. Like there's something wild under my skin and I'm not sure how to take care of it this time.

I've been lost, looking at my options for the future and wavering on my path. Whatever path that is. Even with a list of like...15 schools Canada-wide...that's still a 15 different lives to choose from.

I think people don't hug each other enough.

EDIT: RANDOM UPDATE.

I was feeling like adding more so I decided to throw in a couple of outfit pictures featuring my lovely orange jacket. Again. Sue me. I was feeling a little like ass kicking today, so not featured in these pictures are my ass kicking black combat boots. I like wearing t-shirts, but there's a fine line between a boring t-shirt and jeans and a nicely put together ENSEMBLE. Yeah, that's a hoity toity word.

One of these days I'm going to find a better space to take outfit photos in, because I realize right now that my blog has more torsos than a serial killer's garden.

Jacket: H&M
Meanie-bo-beanie...or as we say here, toque: H&M
Sick Boy T-Shirt: Birthday present!
Jeans: Forever 21
Combat Boots (MIA): Spring

I would also like to say that I can't take an outfit picture without doing something weird. I.e. Looking like I'm A) Seeing forever B) Doing a great impression of a dramatic movie poster in the photo on the right.

1 comment:

  1. Riley, I love that you are thankful for everything, even the not so nice stuff, because they're yours and make you, you! Do you have the same thanksgiving fare as Americans do? Like the turkey and pumpkin pie?

    I love the yellow background of your photos! Love to see a full shot, but hey! the blazer, beanie, and shirt are cute!
    ♥ laura

    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete