January 08, 2012

"We Don't Want Our Friends To Be Happy."

"We Don't Want Our Friends To Be Happy" by William Henderson

I like to think I'm a good person, but the good means that I am the bare minimum of a decent human being... And the person means that of course, I'm going to be flawed.

I sincerely like when my friends are happy, but I admit that I have the potential to be upset when I'm not the catalyst for their happiness. I love them, and when someone or something else, a satisfying job, a lover, self improvement, gives them something that I can't... It's easy for me to get jealous of whatever is filling in the blank for them. (Yes. I am 10 years old with envy issues. Oops. I should have included that in my blogger bio.)

When we're needed, we're pleased. Who needs us more than a friend in pain?

On the other end of the scale, I could also agree with Henderson's argument. Not that I want my friends to fail. I just want our lives to synchronize watches so that everyone has ups at the same time. So that nobody gets left behind while the rest get to have their cake and eat it too. I don't want someone (myself included) to be miserable and bitter while everyone else gallivants off on pink unicorns.

Joyful equality! Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment