January 06, 2012

Vinyl and SOUL

I’ve been seeking a creative outlet. There’s this need under my skin to get really hands on with some kind of project. Literally, almost anything has entered my mind at least once: from sewing, cooking/baking, writing, refurbishing old furniture... You name it, I’ve probably been considering it.

Blame Nylon. The magazine, not the material. The January 2012 issue has a feature about fashion inspired by the 60s and showcased a TON of 20-something talent. Whenever I see young people accomplishing stuff, my initial reaction is: “COOL!” Followed by a introspection as to what I’ve been doing with myself and my life.


With work, fitness and random commitments (plus the fact that the internet is a black hole that sucks up ALL OF MY TIME) it’s easy to neglect passion and creativity by plugging in.

If there were post-New Years resolutions to be made I would add spend more time with love and art, and less time with Stumbleto the list, as well as calling myself on my own bullshit. That’s a blog for a different day.
To get creative, I’ve decided to try and paint up a pair of my old canvas high tops, so that will be probably end up posted here. Sometime soon?
I'm also looking for volunteer positions right now, trying to write some blogs for LGBT Youthline, get involved, be informed. I want to take care of the world.

Today, when I was shopping for shoe painting supplies (and taking Kacy shopping for her vegan food stuffs) I was feeling retro. A handful of days ago I inherited a pile of my dad's old vinyls, and I've been listening to Sly and the Family Stone's Greatest hits, daily.
I have a new love, and it's name is vinyl and SOUL. (Ooh. That was the title of the post. Now it's like we're in a bad movie where they use the title in a really dramatic manner. If you've ever seen Face/Off... You know what I mean.) Oh, right. Then I dressed like a hippie for kicks. More 70s than 60s, but it's all good baby.



Oh jeez. Put that away before you hurt somebody.

Vest: Thrifted
Shirt: Thrifted
Pants: Thr-- I'm seeing a pattern here...
Bag: Matt and Nat
Boots: Aldo (On SALE!)

The only thing I have to say about this outfit is that I would like MORE. Next time I'll add a necklace, a couple rings, some sunglasses or something. For now, simplicity works. Also: those pants didn't fit a couple of months ago. SCORE.

2 comments:

  1. how is it that you pull retro off sooooo well? I would look dickdiculous just attempting it.

    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete