July 28, 2011

The Summer List

I took a big step in becoming a writer: I got a second job as a barista at Starbucks. Rebekah told me about the opportunity-- I am a coffee addict, but she is a 'Bucks veteran, and one of the baristas at her usual store told her about a job fair happening yesterday. My plans for doing nothing before work were cracked clean in two. Before I knew it I was dressed, painted up real nice like, cruising the highway listening to Oingo Boingo and trying not to freak out. Jobs make me anxious. The first time I ever had a panic attack, I was cowering in the back of the pizza section of my local cinema, in tears for no reason. I told them I had painful monthly lady problems, went home and curled up, terrified as to WHAT WHAT WHAT was happening. Needless to say, interviews set me on the edge.

When I pulled into the parking lot of the hotel where the job fair actually was, I saw balloons and people in signature green aprons. I showed my resume to one of the aprons, who said, quite ominously that I had passed phase one and told me to go inside for phase two. As I entered into an elegant looking lobby through a set of automatic double doors, I felt like a spy or a secret agent. They took about seven of us into a side room for a group interview, something else I've never done. Long story short: I'm officially going to be one of those people with two jobs. That's fabulous because that's two paychecks, but it also made me hit the panic button.

Not only is there ONE MONTH OF SUMMER LEFT (not officially, but with my internal school calendar, summer ends with August) but I'm going to have TWO JOBS. Which means, of course, less free time. Suddenly, I want every last drop of summer.

I always imagine and want to be one of those people who is perpetually DOING something. The girl who knows everyone, who goes out every weekend, whether it's on a camping trip, to an amusement park, a hike, a film festival, the beach, dancing in a bar, or sipping sangria on a patio. The one who goes crazy (well in my case, more crazy) on a random weeknight, just because the air calls for it. In my daydreams, I am an above average, well rounded wild child with a touch of charm and a full schedule. I always think that maybe when I move to Montreal, that's who I'll get to be.

Every summer I intend to get all sorts of things done, and I never quite seem to get them finished. I intend to run wild, do what I want, live free, but...it doesn't work that way. It now seems more important than ever to use the spare time I have in a constructive way. So here's the revised summer list of things I want to do in August.

THE SUMMER LIST (REVISED EDITION)
• Get to the beach
• Canada's Wonderland
• Take 1 picture a day in August
• Run 7K
• Roast marshmallows
• Go dancing (MORE!)
• Read a book in French
• Bake something yummy+healthy!-- to prove it CAN BE DONE.

What're some things you want to do this summer? What are you looking forward to about fall? Why am I asking so many questions?!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on getting another job! I most definitely understand about not having as much time as you want left with all your new responsibilities! At one point in undergrad, I was juggling 3 jobs, 1 full-time and 2 part-time. It was ridiculous. I don't know how I slept. It was fun, but I'm glad it's done.

    Love your revised summer list! I wish I knew how to speak/read French. I took only one semester, and all I know how to say is Allo. Ok, I'm not THAT bad, but still. Wanna bake something yummy and healthy?!? I just posted a scone recipe that's 180 calories per slice! :)

    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete