July 16, 2011

Keeping Your Cool

Today was HOT, in climate and on the panic meter. It started off mild. I got up, did some laundry and printed off my resume. Last night, Rebekah and I went thrift shopping and bubble tea-ing, and I discovered that my go-to bubble tea place was hiring. We had been talking about life plans, and while I'm not sure where I'm headed, whether it's Montreal or back to school, I know I'll need money to do it. So the focus is trying to get more work. I decided to apply to the bubble tea place, and went to do it today. I put on a nice floral dress, printed off my paper, touched up my make up and went off to impress.

When I walked in, I was thrilled to see that the girl behind the counter was someone I knew from high school. We had taken vocal classes together and were friendly acquaintances. We chatted amiably and I left with a really good feeling. I was in such a good mood I decided to stop at Starbucks before work. The good mood lasted as I pulled into the parking lot at work, sipping my iced green tea lemonade like everything was going my way! ...Then I realized that I had forgotten my uniform pants at my house. My fifteen-minute-drive-away-house.

After checking the breakroom to see if they had any spare pants (they didn't) I told my manager I was going to be late, sprinted out across the blistering parking lot, hopped in my car and raced home like I was in the Indy 500. Or I would have if I hadn't been stuck behind some guy who thought that MAXIMUM 60 meant GO JUST UNDER 50 KILOMETERS. When he finally went to turn left I turned to see if he was a senior citizen as I blazed by. I locked eyes with a middle aged man, who was glaring at me for making my car have bumsex with his. Sorry buddy.

When I got home I ran inside, accidentally shutting my finger in the front door. As I began to strip off my dress I could feel the pressure in my head rising, my finger throbbing, my nerves fraying. That's when I almost started to cry. Whether it was because I was in pain or because I was stressed about how important it was to get these stupid pants, which REALLY only give me granny bum, I was going to breakdown. Changed, I ran back, and began the race to work.

As I was driving, I thought: calm down. It's JUST work. In 50 years, this won't matter. I thought: keep calm, and carry on. I took a deep breath, my panic temperature went back to zero. It worked. I kept it cool.

Other ways to keep your cool? Wear LESS clothing. I can't seem to avoid layering in the summer, I just like it too much. So I tried to keep them minimalized, but add interest and colour with a vest (thrifted) and a scarf (gift from mama's trip to New Zealand.)
Also, I have a really hard time making pleasant, regular person faces when I take these pictures.

Shirt: MODA International
Shorts and Vest: thrifted
Scarf: Gift from NZ
Purse: Gift from England
Stay cool, kids!

2 comments:

  1. You're so awesome <3

    I wish I could rock shorts half as well as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are totally COOL. I love the segue to your outfit! I am totally in the same boat with the job thing. PArt of the reason why I'm still unemployed is the size of the city I live in.. So now, I may be forced to get a job I don't really care about or like. Eh. Eh. and EH.

    enough about my misery, and on to your totally COOL, totally RAD outfit! how do you do it, girl? how do you wear a scarf in the summer?!?!

    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete