May 22, 2011

Random Roots

If you've been reading this blog for awhile, you may remember my beverage ramble about Dry Lavender Soda. Well yesterday, I had an encounter with a pop of another kind while randomly wandering my local Homesense with my mama and our family friend, Val. I was looking at agave nectar and exotic kinds of pink salt from all over the world when the displays of soda pop in glass bottles caught my eye. (Be it known henceforth, pop comes in cans, soda pop comes in bottles.)

The discovery was the Root Beer by the maine root pop company. Their claim to fame (or lack thereof) is that their product is all natural and hand crafted. Their claim to infamy is that the company is spearheaded by a guy in a tri-coloured headband, and another guy who looks like a deer in headlights... They make great soda pop though, and it's free trade.
I know that this is coming from somebody who is probably going to drop dead one day as a result of aspartame poisoning, but I really enjoy the fact that I recognized every single ingredient on the list and could pronounce it on my first try. Purified water, cane sugar juice...etc... Small but mighty.

I'd like to think my small affair with weird pops and cane sugar started in my trip to Texas in November when my friend Josh (and photographer and general awesome) insisted we track down Dr. Pepper made with REAL CANE SUGAR. It was one of those things you could only get in Texas, in the States.... Forget about it, Canada.
One night after a day of filming we went out for dinner and then we cruised our way around Houston, to try and find this stuff. We ended up at a really fancy grocery store. (They had a security guard on a segue in the the parking lot...) where we wandered around, marveling at the novelties the American people are privy to. It was there that we finally found the pop in little glass bottles.

I think I bought two six packs and Josh bought.... three? The smoothness and the difference in quality turned us into instant fanatics. For the rest of the trip, those were the answer to a long hot day filming in the Texan sun, and Josh even took some back in his suitcase for his family, like a badass smuggler. I finished my last one waiting for our flight out of Texas, at 4 in the morning or something... Crazy.
Josh n' me, on our infamous Texas trip.
ANYWAY--

As far as taste goes, this stuff has the smooth personality of a jazz musician and a texture that puts other kinds of root beer to shame. It's carbonated but it doesn't burn on the way down. The aftertaste is a mere hint and it's pleasant. Yeah, I'm getting REALLY connoisseur on you now.
It IS 165 calories a bottle, but if you're one of those people who doesn't like to put chemicals into their body, or you're looking for a good treat, I'd recommend this in an instant.

No comments:

Post a Comment