March 24, 2011

Think Ink

I've been thinking about tattoos lately. Maybe it's because on Saturday, big sister's boyfriend is getting a consultation for his half sleeve. Or that a friend of mine is getting cozy with tattoo's friend, piercings. It could even be a whim, but whatever it is, I'm feeling a need for the needle.

I got my second tattoo in early September 2010. It's a proven fact (or something) that they're addictive, so I set a time frame before I would even think about getting another. When you get a tattoo or a piercing, you can't donate blood for six months. As a donor, I made that the goal. I want to give blood at least twice before I get another tattoo. Maybe twice and then some, just to make sure I want it. I'm coming up on that eligible donor mark, and already, I've got plans going.

My parents are anti-ink. They think it's a waste of money. They insist people with them don't get hired, as if the presence of pigment underneath the skin retards any skills or attributes that make me employable. They try stress the fact that I am going to have them for life. FOR. EVER. Even when I'm old. As if I didn't know that already?

Maybe a tattoo will be on your body forever, but how long is forever? You could have them until you're 80, yeah. Or you could have it for two days and then get have a disease, an accident, anything. The fragility of the human condition should be reason enough to DO IT NOW. At 80 years old, we should be happy to have made it to 80. You'll show them off to your grandkids, telling them stories about what they are and why. Tattoos are the new battle scars.

Currently, I have two. One is a small tribute to my love of music. The second is to remind myself of what and who I am capable of being.
Reasons to NOT get a tattoo: to look at yourself in the mirror and be reminded every day about how crazy/neurotic you are. Also, gag tattoos-- the woman who did my nightingale told me she once gave a guy a gangster banana. A GANGSTER BANANA.
Beyond that, memories you have, quotes you love, if it's personal, lovable, powerful, it might just belong under your skin.

Talking to myself here, I know but I gotta throw the question out there, pretending like there are followers. Do you have any tattoos? Of what- and why? And if not, would you ever get one?

No comments:

Post a Comment