March 22, 2011

Join the Frenzy!

Today I had my first work review as a script analyst intern. When I got called into the boardroom, I was nervous. (Boardrooms = serious business.) Despite that I am going to be a writer, anticipating criticism turns my insides into jelly, and not the tasty kind you slather on toast. I know rejection and getting shredded like so much iceberg lettuce is a regular occurrence in the writer's life, but I'm not used to it yet.

Their main complaint? When writing my plot summaries of the scripts, I'm using too much description. It was kind of like having them look me dead in the eye and saying: "Stop doing so much work." The other thing that happened in the meeting was that we started talking about me, as a screenwriter. They asked me questions, I hadn't thought of before.

Q: What kind of writer am I?
A: The kind that uses words?

B) How often do I write?

A) Not enough. School and internship have dragged my inspiration and creativity out behind the Wiley Cafe, riddling it with so many bullets and leaving it to die.

So I challenged myself to Script Frenzy, the annual mayhem of writing a 100 page script in the month of April. Also, I'm challenging you. Yeah, you! Don't freeze there awkwardly acting like I didn't just put you on the spot.

TOP 5 REASONS TO SIGN UP FOR SCRIPT FRENZY
1. I can hear you whimpering already like a scared puppy, "But Wiley, I have never ever written a script before!....Also I would like a tummy rub and a cookie." I have read tons of scripts by now and believe me, ANYONE CAN WRITE THEM. And they do. Then I suffer through 130 pages and lose faith in humanity. The world needs your genius. Also, I will totes give you a tummy rub...and possibly that cookie.

2. I will bet you a hundred dollars you have seen a movie, a play, or a TV show that sucked royally. On that day, you said to yourself, "Even I can do it better than THAT!" Prove it.

3. It's awesome creative fun. Ever imagined your favourite book as a movie? Thought of an insanely amazing script idea that you'd love to see on the big screen? There's only one way to get the gears of those dreams in motion, and that's to write a first draft.
Gotta find my inciting incident, schmeh, see? (source)

4. It's an accomplishment, like a storytelling Everest. I've studied screenwriting in college for 3 years, I've read books about it, and I've taken in 40+ feature length screenplays, averaging around 108 pages apiece. My dirty little secret: I've never written a script over 20 pages long. The time has come! You like challenges right? Good. Join me in glorious battle!

5. All the cool kids are doing it. Seriously.
100 pages.
30 days.
Infinite possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment