March 10, 2011

The Soft Kitty Shirt

This shirt is a symbol of a small inner rebellion and fuzzy cuddly things. Rebekah held it up one day at the thrift store, joking. Instantly, I knew it had to be mine.
OMG TOO MUCH AWESOME.
It stayed in my closet for a year without seeing the front lines. When clothes were being shipped off to charity bins, this shirt made the cut and stayed in my closet.
I wore it once, around the apartment and both roommates thought it was hilarious and cute. Not awesome, like I knew it was, and certainly not chic. I was un-phased. Or at least I thought I was, until I realized the four little kitties went right back into the closet the next day and hibernated.

A little over a month ago I had a revelation. I stumbled onto Young, Fat and Fabulous, a blog written by a young woman who rocks out loud and takes no prisoners when it comes to her clothes. This girl has more panache than a wedding cake has buttercream. I was inspired. Suddenly I was armed with the knowledge that bigger girls could dress to impress. I carried that knowledge like a tommy gun.

As the changes started, I started getting compliments on my wardrobe from my roommates, my sisters, total strangers. It was like having an IV of awesome.

Then one day, I fulfilled my destiny. As though I could hear them purring my name, I knew it was time, so I wore the shirt. Not around the apartment. Not down to check the mail. I wore it out to an interview shoot for the documentary film I'm co-producing. I loved every second. I rocked it, even.

That's why when I look at it, besides seeing two pairs of snuggling, purring kittens, I see total bad-assery. I see sticking to my guns, and newly gained self assurance. I see Clint Eastwood.
The moral of the story: you make the shirt, the shirt doesn't make you, baby.

Tell me about your own soft kitty shirt experience... What have you done you weren't sure you were capable of?

No comments:

Post a Comment