March 14, 2011

Easy as Pi

Happy Pi Day, y'all! I thought I might post a little something tasty to celebrate the occasion. It's not pie, which might be a faux pas, but I didn't have the ingredients for crust. I did however have some mac apples that were about to go off the deep end, and oats. You know what they say: when life gives you apples and oats, make apple crumble! (I'm sure they say that somewhere.)

This recipe isn't perfect. I was cooking with limited ingredients so the prototype is a little sketchy. Also, I've gotten to a comfort level in my kitchen abilities where I've stopped measuring and writing things down, or even reading off of recipes! All my measurements are therefore approximate. Kitchen intuition, friends. Dig it.

To those of you who are scared of branching out and trying things: don't be. Kitchen mistakes (if there are any!) can turn out to be the tastiest mistakes of them all!

Easy as Pi Day Apple Crumble
Serves 2-4 depending on your crumble addiction...Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Still with me? Carry on.
In one bowl:
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1 tbsp flour
3 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp butter, melted

Combine all of these together, stirring so the oats are coated. Set aside. Easy, you got this!

In a second bowl:
4 of your favourite apples, peeled, cored and sliced. (I used Macintosh!)
Sprinkle of cinnamon
Sprinkle of sugar (optional)

Toss the apple slices in sugar. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Layer the apples in the bottom, then cover with the oat mixture. Bake for 25 minutes, until the oats have a nice brown colour and the house smells ridiculously good.

Serve with yogurt, vanilla ice cream, or whatever your heart desires!

No comments:

Post a Comment