March 08, 2011

Pancake Tuesday

Pancake Tuesday, Shrove Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras. Today goes by many names, and many meals. Pancakes, crepes, waffles, you name it, there are a million and one options. This is especially true when you start looking into what you can put in and on (That may or may not be what she said.)

Today in the land of Apartment 605 we opted for a more traditional route... then we went crazy and added chocolate and raspberries. You read that right. CHOCOLATE AND RASPBERRIES.

I got this recipe from the father of an old family friend, and it's been my go to ever since. (Mix, you say? Hell no!) They are fluffy, light, sweet and you can add your own twist really easily. Plus they're easy to assemble from scratch. I didn't have it at school, so I asked my mama to pretty please send it my way? Well I'll be damned, she's such a sweetheart she scanned it and sent it right on over to me!
Just in case you can't read the writing, here's the rundown.

Dr. Bob's Pancakes
(Makes about 6 medium-large pancakes)
2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp salt

2 cups milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup Crisco oil (I didn't have any. I used melted butter instead!)

Optional
Bittersweet chocolate chips
Raspberries, fresh or frozen. (We used frozen!)

Sift together dry ingredients in one bowl. In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.

Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture! Still with me here? I know it's complicated.
Now stir....make sure it's still a little bit lumpy, but there are no bits of flour.
Just keep stirring, just keep stirring...

Ladle onto a hot griddle or frying pan. If you're feeling crazy, add your chocolate chips and raspberries here. Just sprinkle them on the batter as soon as it gets into the pan. That way you're guaranteed fruity chocolate distribution.


Flip when bubbles form, pop and don't fill in. Plate and enjoy!

The raspberries make it look like it took a couple of bullets, but then this is the tastiest and most most heroic flapjack you'll ever get to eat!

What did you eat for dinner? What's your favourite pancake reboot recipe? Inquiring minds want to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment