September 11, 2012

The French Revolution: Welcoming Party

I keep having these moments where everything seems to fall into perfect, clean lines. Seconds of belonging, kind of what I've been looking for as I get my footing in this brave new place. Some solace or reassurance, that I wasn't alone, that I have a chance to make it out of here alive. (Maybe even better off?)

#1. Bek and I went out to look for a bar. It was our first Saturday in the city (well, the first where we weren't covered in moving dirt, sweat and exhausted) and it was not to be wasted. After spending the afternoon making our little flat into a little home (pictures hung, vinyls spinning, stocking the fridge with fresh veggies from our nearby fruiterie) we were too tired to go dancing, but not too tired to go out and sit on our butts with a cold drink. So we got dressed and wandered out into the night to find a scene.

The nightlife in Montreal is the stuff of legends (says the tour book that Jill got me for my birthday). The night was cold with the first mumble of autumn making us wish we had brought scarves. Each bar or pub or bistro we passed promised something different. One, a young scene, loud and boisterous. The next, sophisticated, wine swilling patrons with square plates and assembled, precarious appetizers. People wandered this way and that through the streets. No one clear direction was marked as the path to the par-tay.

We decided on Chez Baptiste, not sure why, but with our eyes on it, we both decided it would be a good place to check out. Mutual, mind connection decision made. Inside, the bar was dark and the Black Keys blared over the speakers. People wore berets and thick rimmed glasses without a sense of any irony whatsoever. Our waitress asked us where we were from and we explained we have moved, and it was our first week dans la ville. A few minutes later she came back with a tray, and on it, three shots. "Welcome to Montreal!" And I can't be sure whether the warmth from this welcome was me being genuinely moved, or from hard alcohol. Either way, we left a few hours later in high spirits and thanked the waitress again on our way out the door.

#2. Today at school, I discovered they serve a free vegan lunch from Monday to Friday. I gawked at the wealth of the young and the hip and the smart and the beautiful. I felt, like this was a place where my passions, my interests and my morals were aligning. I learned about poets and my prof talked about epiphanies and Oscar Wilde and poetry. Hipster Mecca. Who knows, sooner or later I might even get to call it my home, instead of that place where I just happen to have landed at the moment.

#3. I even wandered into a pet store, and bought a scratching post for the cat using my lame French skills. Bravo, moi. Bravo! The house is more or less emptied of cardboard boxes, too. I made a vegetable stock out of the bits and pieces of cut up vegetables Bek and I haven't made use of. The weather is getting colder and stuff is starting to come together.

Keep calm, and carry on, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment