May 01, 2012

Little Copper Dress

I don't even remember the last time I updated this! So we're probably more due than a woman 9 months pregnant with quadruplets. REGARDLESS.

Yesterday, Rebekah and I shot down to Toronto to see Fire Academy, the film I helped produce/record as my final "thesis" film at Sheridan, be screened at a REAL LIVE FILM FESTIVAL. LOOK. It was totally awesome to sit in a theatre full of people, watching something I was a part of. It made me miss documentary as ALLLL the memories of Texas shenanigans and my Media Arts family came rushing back. It was a big proud moment to see all of our names on the big screen, and when our director Kyle got invited on stage after for a Q&A, he carried each question like a CHAMP.

The second part of this story involves a beautiful copper dress I bought on sale at H&M 2 years ago, even though it didn't fit just right. I'd coveted this dress since I had first seen it, and finally, yesterday, it fit. FINALLY. Minutes after wearing it for the first time EVER, I spilled coffee on it. I only topped myself when I dripped the juices of a BIG ASS BURRITO all over it after the screening, while my former roommate Allie told me I ought to date her friend because we are both basically former fat kids, (my words, not hers to be fair) and the fact that he apparently sort of looks like my ex. I am Jack's sense of dark amusement.

After splitting off from Allie to do some big city shopping, we ended up getting lost on the way to the Eaton Centre two separate times. AFTER shopping, we walked out of the mall into a city where dusk was starting to settle. And it was after wandering around for a good 20 minutes in the cold windy rainy-ness that my dear friend and I realized we couldn't find the parking garage where we had left the Buick. Of the hundreds of parking garages in downtown Toronto, we were looking for ONE.  With two vague, parallel street names to serve as our guide.

Exhausted from a 5AM opening shift, stained, ratty, soaking wet, cold and clutching our hot beverages like life preservers, we began to Sherlock our way back to the waiting vehicle against the odds.  Here's the thing. I don't know if it's her or me or the cocktail of the both of us together, but Rebekah and I ALWAYS seem to get into these sitchy-ations.
When we went to our first Poetry Slam in Guelph, we ended up on some country back roads, with BOTH of her Blackberry phones dead, my phone low battery, night setting in.
We miss exits the way you miss the good old days. We confuse right and left, North and South with dyslexic fervor.

On our way back to the car we concluded that the way to stop getting into these situations is to stop getting lost. Never were we so happy to crawl into my couch on wheels, only to have her phones die AGAIN. So we navigated ourselves out of that city like a couple of Mavericks. (Yes, I said it.) Grand adventures. Then I got home,a t some food, and passed out to work at 5AM again. Hit the snooze button. Hit repeat.


I'm still waiting to hear from Concordia.

THE END.

1 comment:

  1. Man. I don't know why, but re-reading this made me laugh out loud. We're just awful sometimes, but hey, makes for a damn good blog!

    ReplyDelete