February 27, 2012

For the Love of Film

If you happen to follow me on Twitter I'm sure you're realize I was plugged into the Academy awards tonight. It wasn't necessarily the best year for epic speeches or hosts (even Billy Crystal was falling a LITTLE flat BILLYI'MSOSORRY) but nonetheless, there were heartfelt moments, passion, tears, and the epic music... which needed far more attention by the way.
Seriously. I was all over that. Hans Zimmer + Pharrell = Love. The audiophile in me just about peed with excitement.

And even though my lady crush Rooney Mara didn't win Best Actress, Christopher Plummer won for Beginners and The Artist took home a BUNCH of things, which I was just thrilled about, including Jean Dujardin for Best Actor. I only actually saw the film Saturday evening, but I'm so glad I did. If you haven't already checked out the Artist, you have to. I was literally stunned when the credits finally rolled. That a movie can draw you in emotionally, charm you, make you love it, break your heart and have you in it's grip-- without saying a word-- is truly a testament of greatness to everyone involved from start to finish.

The last silent film made was Mel Brook's aptly titled 'Silent Film' and it was basically based on the gimmick of the fact that the film itself had no spoken dialogue. Like all Brooks, it was spoofy. The Artist was nothing short of awe inspiring.

Watching the Oscars made me miss film. As much as I know that I might not have a career out in the industry waiting for me, tonight was a reminder of just how much I love good storytelling. How powerful words translated into visuals delivered by individuals with the right tone and cadence can have people holding their breath. They can inform and endear and alter a point of view.

I love that a silent film won Best Picture this year, against the odds. I love when someone takes a huge long shot and suddenly, the world is in the palm of their hand. The power of film is to take someone's vision, someone's dream, and put it out there for everyone else to experience and see. It's collaboration and pain and suffering that pays off, but not always. I miss that aspect of writing. The visions and the translations and the buildings. Not to say that there is much stopping me from writing screenplays again, just my own mental block.

But...

But.

That is just it.

I feel this absurd LONGING to just write these stories and tell tales and do these things-- even though I can admit I'm not very good at them. Do I make it a hobby? Do I just practice for fun and lose steam? I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment