October 23, 2011

Waxing Poetic

I have to announce, this is the 100th post written here. That's kind of a big deal, let's face it. 100 anything is a reason to celebrate, unless it's something like car accidents or something equally unpleasant. SO I have a little something special (but not really) because I'm feeling inspired.

I'm not REALLY a poet, but I scribble poetry at work and I have scraps of paper littered with words that wouldn't make sense to any eyes but my own. I dabble in wordplay, I get hooked and caught on phrases. I become obsessed with describing love without actually using the word. So I'm deciding to share one of my random little poems with you, in the spirit of a new, creative and hopefully literary awakening. (NaNoWriMo is coming up soon, and I'm hoping to get my writing mojo going before the first of November, before my word quota leaves me in the dust! More of that in a separate post!)

His smile never quite stayed put until
She picked it up and sealed it with-- a kiss,
a tell,
a tall tale is all there is,
when lovers lie
for the pounding heart and the tug of war aftermath
are naked myths,
marble statues of Aphrodite, loved but misunderstood
And their breath sang out as they quieted
Explored the mazes in their minds, in their dreams, in the sheets
And went wild with love
on crowded streets
lost in the supermarket jungle, never humbled
never sated, but always, always
always
sustained by the prospect of the other's face
in a painted, end of day polaroid

1 comment:

  1. Riley. I love your poetry. Like, for realz. I'm not only saying this because I heart you. I am 100% honest. I love the "naked myths" and the "end of day polaroid."

    Congratulations on the 100 posts! I knew I'd reached 100 already, but forgot to acknowledge it. It's definitely a milestone worth celebrating!

    ps. i am gonna say something that may upset you... and i feel super bad about it. :( i may not do the nanowrimo this year because i just started my new job, which is, for now, full time work. i barely have time to catch up on blogs, and i want to make sure that my husband and i still eat homemade, healthy food like packed lunches and hot dinners. i'm looking to see how this week is going, but if i can't find an extra half hour every day, i probably won't do it :(just thought i'd let you know since i was super excited to do it.

    ReplyDelete