September 15, 2011

Psycho Boy Jack

In my dreams last night, I graphically cut left hand off, from just above the wrist. I remember sawing bone and sinew and how much it hurt. I woke up wild and scared and as it turns out, unmaimed. While I really have to blame Aron Ralston's book for some of this, I always look up my more vivid dreams, out of curiosity. I know that dream interpretation is kind of like horoscopes. You project your own reality and meanings onto them, but I still find them interesting.

AMPUTATION:
To dream that your limbs are amputated signifies abandoned talents and serious, permanent losses. It indicates your feelings of frustration, powerlessness and helplessness. Sometimes amputation may also represent a situation that you have been ignoring and has finally reached a crisis point. In particular, to dream that your arms are amputated suggests that you lack motivation.

WRIST:
To see an injured or bandaged wrist in your dream indicates a loss in productivity. You are in an imbalanced or one-sided relationship. In particular, if your wrists that are injured, then it implies that you are not reaching out to others enough. -- Dreammoods.com

These seem to relate to my general feelings of quarter-life crisis-ism. Laura and I have had small conversations about how no one is defined merely by what they do as a profession. Lately all I can think about as I'm topping mochas with whipped cream, or ringing in someone's toilet paper, cough drops and condoms is about how many thousands of dollars I paid to have a diploma I'm not using. How I am capable of more than what I'm committing myself to. How I'm too young to have hit such a disenchanted wall with reality. (After my psychotic dream episode, I laid in bed and thought..."Moving back into your hometown after college is probably why people start doing stupid things like recreational drugs.") So maybe my brain knows a thing or two that I don't and it's trying to jumpstart me into realizing and acting on what I already know in the back of my mind.

Hopefully I'll have some good news to report sooner or later in this respect, and less crazy self-surgical dreams.

In other news, hopefully I'll have some not vague lame rambly posts about my confusion with life at this point coming up very soon. Saturday, I may be going to my first ever poetry open mic/slam with my friend Justin, and on Monday Jill is coming home from working in another city for five weeks. We're starting a two week 'clean eating' challenge to help us refocus our goals and eat better just in time for the 10K . Did I mention I'm all signed up for that officially now? (Holy shit.) It's like being strapped into a roller coaster. I KNOW I can do it, but I need to know if I can do it well. ALSO, the issue of Travis that I wrote my 10K article in will be published soon. Did I forget to mention I had to go to a real photoshoot for it? I think I did forget to mention that. Oh well. EXCITING TIMES!

It'll be good blog fodder, that's fo' shizzle.

And now for your viewing pleasure, a video I took of Costello's cat shenanigans over the summer.

1 comment:

  1. Riley, good gracious, you've got tons of stuff lined up for you! How exciting!!! I have never been to an open mic before. I think it's because every one I've known has always been poetry, and though I love poetry, my preferences lie between the 7th and 17th centuries. How sad, I know.

    Your clean eatin challenge sounds like it would be super fun! I wish I could do that, but it's hard to with a husband like mine. Not that we eat junk to begin with, but he does love eating meat, like, in copious amounts. Oh well.

    Is that your kitty cat? Hahaha! He is hilarious! I have 3 and only one of them likes to splay himself all over our screen door!
    ♥ laura

    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete