September 06, 2011

Don't Stop Me Now

Yesterday was Freddie Mercury's 65th birthday. (Did you see Google's tribute to him?) I fucking love Freddie. I love him. He's one of my heroes, because he was an artist, a dynamo, a showman, and he was bisexual on top of all of it. He shocked the world by announcing he had AIDS and died just over 24 hours later at the age of 45, breaking hearts everywhere. He changed the way people looked at others suffering from AIDS and also homosexuals in general, another political topic near and dear to my heart.
You know how people play the game: if you can meet someone who's already dead, who would it be? Freddie Mercury. I would have loved to see Queen live in concert while he was still alive, so much it hurts me to think about. Unfortunately it's a dream I'll never get to experience until time travel is invented or until they perfect cloning via DNA or maybe never. Happy (belated) birthday Freddie.

I cannot WAIT for the biopic about him starring Sacha Baron Cohen to exist. I know it's only rumored right now but if it ever happens, it will MAKE MY LIFE.

Queen has been a huge influence on my taste in music and me as a person. When I was young, I remember my godfather blasting it as we went cruising in his car. Somebody To Love was and still is the song I listen to when I'm aching and pondering the future man I think I've yet to meet. Don't Stop Me Now is one of my go-to karaoke songs. Fat Bottomed Girls and I Want To Break Free at times feel like personalized anthems. I have not-in-the-near-future plans to get a Queen based tattoo.

This outfit has a little drama with the sequins, a little class with the black, a little badass with the vest, and some antique charm with the bowler. I felt preeettty cool wearing it, pretty unstoppable. Also, yes I am becoming more and more of a dirty hipster by the day. It was 'styled' as they say by Bek, who has a fashion blog which she SHOULD POST IN MORE. She took a look at the stuff I had and like magic, pulled this together like it wasn't no big thang. She's a savvy lady, especially when it comes to fashion.

On the weekend, my-now-ex roommate Allie came down for a visit. Rebekah and I did our best to make her short visit entertaining. We did yoga, read tarot cards, lots of shopping, had awesome dinner with my fam and went out for dessert and coffee at Symposium a very fancy/casual place to go. This is my coffee/dessert outfit. WHEE!

Bowler: H&M (You can buy them RIGHT NOW.)
Vest: Danier Leather/thrifted
Sequined top: Thrifted
Dress-as-skirt: Forever 21
Bag: Matt & Nat

No comments:

Post a Comment