August 14, 2011

Peach Almond Semifreddo

Dessert isn't something you usually get to indulge in when you're on a "DIET" or as the-diet-is-a-naughty-word people like to say, a "lifestyle change." There are alternatives, like dried fruit, and tea, strawberries, that sort of thing.... But those don't hit the spot. Sometimes you want the slab of chocolate cake, that bowl of ice cream... Well this semifreddo recipe might be the next best thing, while I'm still trying to squeeze into a smaller pair of pants.

Traditionally a semifreddo (Italian meaning half-cold) is a dessert with a frozen mousse-like texture, made with ice cream and whipped cream. DOESN'T sound very healthy, does it? Thankfully, I found a recipe in the July 2011 edition of Clean Eating magazine. It's tasty, low cal, and about as good for you as you can get with dessert.

I made this for my parent's anniversary dessert (along with a stellar Roasted Garlic Barley Risotto, ohmygod) because we're all trying to eat a little healthier these days. It's hella easy. HELLA, I SAY.
Peach Almond Semifreddo (Clean Eating Magazine, July 2011)

Ingredients:
1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1 egg, separated
1/3 cup evaporated cane juice (I didn't have this, so I just used the same amount of agave nectar. If you don't know what any of this stuff is....uhh.. Go ask your local hippie/yuppie grocery store!)
1/2 tsp pure almond extract
1 tsp pure vanilla extract (I used a vanilla bean as well, because I had one around the kitchen!)
3 egg whites
2 medium peaches, pitted and diced
1/3 cup unsalted almonds, toasted

Prep:
Line a 8x4x5 loaf pan with plastic wrap. No worries about nonstick sprays or nothin'!

I toasted my almonds over medium heat in a frying pan on the stove for about ten minutes, until they smelled good! Then, I covered them in a tea towel and smashed them with a big kitchen hammer. MORE FUN!
Then I separated the eggs, taking care to make sure no yolks got in with the whites, and cut up the peaches. Easy peasy!

Instructions:
Combine yogurt, the egg yolk, the cane juice and the extracts. As I mentioned I used a vanilla bean in addition to this... and I have to admit the flavour was a little strong. I'd put in half next time.
In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites into stiff peaks. (I find that they whip better with a pinch of cream of tartar, and also at room temperature!)
Fold the whites into the yogurt mixture, 1/3 at a time. Then gently fold in the peaches and almonds.
Pour mixture into the loaf pan and smooth the top. Freeze for 2 or 3 hours, until just frozen.
When it's finishing, invert it on a serving tray, peeling away the wrap and slice with a knife that has been warmed by hot water! (Warning: REALLY try to eat it after 2 or 3 hours. Through a series of unfortunate events, I had to wait 24 hours and it was frozen solid and by then... So then it had to thaw. It was a little icy, but it still tasted awesome. When done properly, I bet it's the shizzle.)

Looks like ice cream?

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I've never heard of this before! But peaches with yogurt, almonds, and meringue sound mighty tasty! I know I should be "dieting" but I made a peach cobbler two nights ago. A stick of butter is a lot, but oh my word, that cobbler was fantastic!
    ♥ laura

    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete