July 12, 2011

Pins and Needles

I've been meaning to update but I didn't have the energy or the willpower until now. (1:41AM? Why not?) Keep calm and carry on is my motto whenever I feel an oncoming panic attack, when life throws me a curveball, a hard run, a bad day. It's my personal mantra. It was only a matter of time (and a matter of life slapping me across the face a couple of times), before I had the epiphany to get this permanently done.

The original Keep Calm posters were all over England during WWII to encourage citizens to let calmer heads prevail even in emergency situations. Apart from the amazing message, I love the historical reference and I'm British on my dad's side, so this one has enough background behind it.The handwriting featured is my dad's.

This tattoo was designed and done by Anabela at Way Cool Tattoos in Kitchener, Ontario. I based it off of clip art I found of British Crowns. She drew it up, made it look pretty and then kicked ASS.


I highly recommend her, I love her work, she's personable and hilarious, and she's great at what she does. She did this entire tattoo standing up and hunched over my shoulder for two hours. I didn't want breaks, and neither did she.


All the pictures were taken by my darling Rebekah, who was there, along with my sisters, to see the whole process and the faces I made during it. They talked to me to keep me away from the pain for the most part. That didn't stop it from hurting, of course. I just helps to have people close by to keep you company.

2 comments:

  1. Riley!!!! Your tattoo is fantastic! I love the little tidbit of history you've included in this post. I learn something new from you every single comment/post, you know?! I'm a lover of MOST (if not ALL) things English, so this crown has got me mesmerized!

    Thanks for your comments on my posts. I apologize if I haven't gotten back to you on your suggestions. I've been a little "EH" these days. To answer your question on the stippling brush, I load up the brush with foundation, and then I just kind of pat it all over my face. It looks like there are little spots of foundation, at first, but I just keep on patting until everything looks blended. I swear, it looks surreal and super covered!

    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete