May 25, 2011

Dream Pie

Two days ago it was mama's birthday. She's really lucky because she ALWAYS gets a long weekend for her big day. Come the Victoria Day weekend, the house is always filled with laughter and people, and it's a great time! This year we had our neighbors and some friends over, ate a big meal and watched some fireworks go off in our backyard. Literally in our backyard. Off our deck. Were we scared? Yes. Was it awesome? EXTREMELY.
For the past three years, I've sort of taken charge of the birthday cake operations in the house. Anytime someone has a birthday it's up to me to find out what they want and to put their wish into action. I'm like the birthday cake genie or something.

Mama isn't a big dessert person, but we seriously believe it's bad luck to not have any cake, so I took it upon myself to force an answer out of her. Last year I made champagne cupcakes with vanilla bean frosting, and the year before that it was lemon cream cupcakes with lemon frosting, and vanilla cupcakes with blueberry frosting too! (She likes telling me to surprise her. All the time.) This year though, I finally needled a request out of her: coconut cream pie. I used Martha Stewart's recipes... (Who knows cream pie better than Martha? ....Don't answer that.) It was one of the best and most delicious things I've ever made. It was the prettiest, too.
Ooh! Aah!
With REAL whipped cream.


And white chocolate shavings. Yes, I did just go there.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my. That looks delectable. I am not much of a dessert person, myself, but how can I say no to real whipped cream? That would just be blasphemous.
    ♥laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete