April 25, 2011

A Spring Fling

If you read this blog, you know that I don't update as often as I'd like to. Ideally I'd like to post every day, but we all know that doesn't happen. While this isn't a fashion blog, I'm thinking about posting outfits more often because it's fun, it's content, and it'll force me to wear something other than my usual shirt/jeans/scarf.

Once upon a time, this time last year, I attended Sheridan's Media Arts awards, wearing this dress. Then I had a bad summer, gained crazy amounts of weight, and tried the dress on again at Christmas. It didn't fit. Besides the fact that the weight was frustrating, I was upset. If I'm an advocate of anything beyond gay bars and thrift stores, it's making your closet work for you. Buying a dress, even if it's cheap, and then only wearing it once just isn't something I'm down with. (Wedding dresses excluded...)

Flash forward to this Easter. A happy, special occasion to see my mom's side of the family since they were coming to our house for dinner. I was looking for something nice to wear, and I found this in the back of my closet.

I tried it on, and BOOM! Instant confidence boost in the fact that it fit again. I felt a burst of joy and the floral print just yelled SPRING! It was a celebratory mood... They're kinda awkward, because I don't often take outfit pictures... but my little sister was kind enough to try working the camera. My dog Jack came along to show off for the camera too!

I couldn't tell you how much everything cost, it's all stuff I've found over the years. I can however tell you it's not expensive. I got the dress for about 30$ from Winners. The cardigan is Joe, the earrings are from Spring, and the shoes are hand me downs from my older sister.
The metallic flats and the pearl earrings dress up an otherwise casual summer dress, without making me feel too fancy. I got lots of compliments from my loved ones, whether because it's well put together or because my family is just used to seeing me dress in a less fanciful fashion, it's hard to say. I'm hoping on the first one. Happy belated chocolate bunny holiday from me, from Jack and whoever else I have the authority to send it from!

No comments:

Post a Comment