April 19, 2011

God Awful

Today I held in my hands a piece of paper that had the gall to declare that the end of days was at hand. This offensive piece of pure ignorance and hatred, disguised as a mere paper pamphlet, said that come May 21st, 2011, we are all basically screwed. According to this shit, which I am going to call out as straight up shit, GAY PRIDE is a surefire sign of the apocalypse.

That's right, because two people with matching parts love each other, we're all going to get smote. Modern love is bringing about the end of of the world. RE-FUCKING-DICULOUS.

This is the sort of ignorance that makes me really angry and blows my mind at the exact same time. The pamphlet I was reading was a campaign of hate. How exactly can people put so much energy into hating each other? When did your private tastes become available for the scrutiny of public opinion? When did love between two consenting people become wrong in any capacity? I'll admit it's true. There have always been people opposed to the gay movement, so the answer to the above questions is: always. That's why it's infuriating. We haven't learned to LOVE each other yet, after living around each other for SO LONG.

People can talk righteous and feel good about handing out paper to try and 'save' people by telling them they're wrong. But they can't see past their own walls of prejudice. They wouldn't know saving someone if it came up and shoved them off their mighty walls, then nursed them back to health. People can find blind faith but never find room for blind love of their fellow human beings. It's disgusting.

The icing on the cake came when my friend Josh linked me this video:


He knows I have the biggest soft spot for this kind of thing. I swear to whatever entity is threatening to destroy us because of a little boy on boy action, or two girls kissing (which I saw today- it made my heart happy) I was definitely gay in a past life. That's my conclusion, that's why every time I see something like this, every time I hear a story it punches me in the heart and holds on tight. It bothers me for the next few days. I want to make a change. I want to help.

Anyone who has it in their heart to hate their fellow man for something like this... They don't have the right to call themselves human. Plain and simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment