March 27, 2011

Part-time Pierogies

In Apartment 605, we're edging on foodie-ism. Last Saturday, we made lamb sliders with homemade tzatziki sauce. This week, hunting through our fridge, Allie had a stroke of genius, in the form of pondering about making pierogies. I bet you can't guess what we had for dinner.
This is something we've done before, but the last time we did it, I remember it was labour intensive and time consuming. I was watching Apocalypse Now! (the crappy Redux version...) for a class studying film sound and I stopped it half way through to put them together. Well HOURS later, with the girls jumping in to help, I finally got back to the movie I could not focus on anymore. They were yummy, sure... But the recipe we had used before required you to roll the dough out. With neither rolling pin or proper surface, it was torture, and that was only to prep them for boiling AND pan frying.

The kitchen was a mess, we were exhausted, but at least we were full of something tasty.

While I know that great food takes time, I couldn't go back to that. I also couldn't drop the idea, the Russian/Polish roots from my mama's side just would not let me. I decided to look for a different recipe, and found the one at Soupbelly.
It looked promising. Instead of rolling out the dough and cutting it, you divide it up into spheres and flatten those out, then fill them.



Potato-y, cheese-y goodness. Simple, yes. Delicious, definitely!
You can find the recipe here.

Note: The topping is just chopped bacon and onions fried in a pan together. Also, there was sour cream left over from the s'more cheesecake square I made last week too. Yeah, we know what we're doin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment