February 15, 2011

The Odd Couple

My current job is working as an unpaid intern at a literary agency in downtown Toronto. I'm at the bottom of the food chain, a script reader who is basically paying to do work.
I read about one script per day, five days a week, and I'd like to say in my six weeks there, I've come across ONE script that was worth making into an actual movie. ONE.
Needless to say, I have read a lot of interesting and colourful scripts....and that's me being polite about it. Sometimes, the stories in them have combine some very unexpected elements. A few examples:

Comical Romance + Football
Giants + Teenage Murder
The Big Foot Myth + The Merlin Myth
Merry Poppins + Monster Slaying

As the person who sat through 100 pages of each of these scripts, I can tell you straight up that none of these combinations worked particularly well together. You know what works well together? Lavender and soda pop. I'm serious. Lavender Soda Pop.
I came home from work today to a visit from my mama, and you know what she brought me? One of my favourite things. You guessed it:
It was the perfect gift to end a long day where I read a 132 pages of a script that combined a PSA about the environment with a bunch of action movie explosions and Native American clichés. Sigh.

I first discovered this stuff when I was shopping at a health food store over the holidays with my family. They had a smorgasbord of amazing flavours from cucumber, juniper berry, blood orange to the beautiful one displayed above. I love off the wall foods and I immediately needed to try these. Lavender was my first bottle and my instant favourite. It's flowery, fragant and sweet....but not too sweet.

It feels totally sophisticated. (It's the only pop I've ever seen that suggests it would be worthwhile to serve with roast duck.) In addition, it's all natural and only 70 calories a bottle! Fancy!
This is why strange combinations can be GOOD. Whether it's lavender pop, or mixing prints in your clothing or eating peanut butter and pickle sandwiches, switch it up and try something new! I dare you!

P.S. Don't actually eat peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. I did it once on the suggestion from my dad, the man who puts seasoning salt on EVERYTHING. It's the last time I'll take culinary advice from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment