February 14, 2011

Musical Monday: Cupid's Playlist

Valentine's Day started with a grilled cheese sandwich. It really think it was a perfect way to launch the day. I mean... I love cheese!

Today is also my older sister's birthday. Even though she's living far (FAR) away in New Zealand, she's going to be on my mind all day long. Maybe that's why I've never gotten upset about Cupid passing me by: it's a birthday, not a day for romance!

I feel this day should be filled with celebrating things and people who fill life up to the brim. (Sort of like Thanksgiving in the middle of February...) So while I'm patiently waiting for that next special someone to come around, I've got a big heart-on for the rest of who happens to be in my life. (Is this what growing up feels like?)
I think we have a mutual romance, don't you?
I love my life. It has it's ups and downs but so do roller coasters, and I like those too.
I love my friends, my family, my cat. I love my work, I love antique stores and old vinyl and new technology. I love to laugh, dance and sing. I am very much in love with a LOT of things.

So to honour the occasion, I put together a playlist of some of my favourite love songs. They range from your typical melody about love, to unrequited and everything in between.

Cupid's Playlist
1. Somebody to Love - Queen
Because everybody wants somebody. I love Queen, and anything to do with Freddie Mercury turns me into a giddy crooner who has the urge to hit impossible high notes.

2. I Believe In a Thing Called Love - The Darkness
Speaking of people hitting high pitched notes-- The Darkness take it to a whole. Nuvva. Level.

3. Your Song - Elton John
This song is another classic that I think should play at everyone's wedding ever, just because it's simple and gorgeous. And if I can't convince you, I'll make sure it's at least playing at mine.

4.We Will Still Need A Song - Hawksley Workman
Everything Hawksley touches has a life of it's own, and this song is no different. You won't find another like it, and it's the only love song I know that starts off with a glorious f-bomb.

5. Make You Feel My Love - Adele (covering Bob Dylan)
If you haven't heard Adele, you need to! She has the amazing diction and subtlety that you need to cover something that was done by Bobby D himself. Simply gorgeous...

6. Grace Kelly - Mika
This song is more addictive than your average dose of methadone, Mika is adorable, and he has a voice to boot. Unrequited love and the things we do for it...Sigh.

7. All is Love - Karen O and the Kids
I like this one because it's a playful, innocent love. The kids have for their parents, or the kind I have for Telly.

8. It Ain't Me, Babe - Johnny Cash and June Carter
This song is amazing because it's all about what love isn't. "You say you're lookin' for someone who's never weak, but always strong. To protect you and defend you whether you are right or wrong, but it ain't me babe."

9. Lullaby (Goodnight, my Angel) - Billy Joel
The first time you hear this, it's almost emotionally crippling. Is it a love song? A lullaby? A tune of mourning? Billy Joel's voice weaves a story of devotion and separation that gets me EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

10. Firework by Katy Perry
A love song about learning to embrace yourself. I think self respect is just as important as any other kind of love you can have...And this song is all about celebrating who you are. Plus, it's a blast to belt out in the shower, driving in the car, anywhere, everywhere.

Now that you know my picks for some great V-Day tunes, what are some of yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment