December 08, 2011

Blue Christmas

With the snow JUST starting to come down in Waterloo, I might not be happy about that cold, but I'm feeling more excitement because of it. I can finally stop dreaming about a white Christmas and get into the spirit of the season.

If that's an excuse to bake cookies, wrap up in huge scarves, sing carols REALLY loudly and watch my favourite Christmas movies on TV, I'm all in. If that means getting to see my friends, get closer with my family and celebrate the one time of year where we actually seem to have traditions, count me in x100.

So if a little cold weather brings me closer to that holiday feeling, let it snow, baby.

The other day, Jill and I tried to bring a little more Christmas to the house. It was like the Life of Wiley pre-Christmas special sitcom. We had talked about just how our sad, single string of Christmas lights was NOT cutting it in terms of spreading holiday cheer. In fact, that lonesome line of coloured bulbs somehow just made us seem more sad about the whole thing.

Jill of course, has two modes: one being ALL-THE-WAY and the other being totally below zero. So she went out to the store and bought 90 bucks worth of Christmas lights, and we tag teamed decorating the outside of our house.
I think we, (she maybe more than I) had epic notions of what the lights would look like. We have a huge pine tree in the front, and in her mind in was filled from top to bottom with white lights, sparkling in the December darkness.

The front of our house has two Roman style columns in the front, and she wanted badly to wrap them in cascades of bright Christmas lights. First, we tried to wrap them, and the cords were not long enough. So we ended up using the column lights on this stumpy pine bush next to the porch that is shaped like the Grimmus. Then it was time to look after the tree.

It took about forty five minutes, an extension ladder, some freezing toes and lots of amputated pine tree twigs, but we finally got the lights up on the tree. By we, I mean I did a little bit, carried a ladder and watched Jill and my dad struggle to get the lights onto the branches high above our heads.

The end result was a little disappointing. It turns out 90 bucks buys you about five strings of Christmas lights. Not when enough to cover half of the GIANT ASS PINE TREE which is actually taller than our house. We managed a zig in the tree, even a ZAG, but it looks like a big S. We decided the S in the lights stands for 'Special' or 'Santa' depending on who you ask. Brilliant.

Maybe next year?

After that, we went out to the mall, but right before then I got Jill to take outfit pictures. You can even see the LITTLE TREE! (Which I now am calling The Grimmus. Forever.) I really like the brown in the boots and the the blue in the rest of the ENSEMBLE. (Fancy ass word, folks.)

Beanie: H&M
Dress: H&M (I bought it for 10 dollars. HOLLAH.)
Scarf: Thrifted
Cardigan: My mom's closet.
Tights: Who cares, they're black tights...
Boots: Aldo

And if you haven't seen it already, I'm still writing for Travis Magazine. Somehow, they think I know things about fashion (or at least STYLE) and continue to let me write my little column- Fashion Friday: Go Elf Yourself!

What are y'all doing to get ready for Christmas?

1 comment:

  1. Riley, your ENSEMBLE is fab. I love those boots~! I need to find me a pair of neutral, flat boots so I can be bootilicous like everyone else in the world!

    I can't believe that $90 bought you 5 measly strings of lights. That's highway robbery.
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete